If you’re reading this, presumably you think sex toys are pretty great at stimulating your (and/or your partner’s) bits. But did you know they can be used for other purposes as well? If you’re going to plonk down a wad of cash for a high-quality sex toy, maybe you’d like it to be a multi-tasker! Here are some ways you can use your sex toys that don’t involve your genitalia...
1. Vocal warm-up. You may have heard that a vocal coach in Alberta, Canada swears by his Lelo Siri for warming up his students’ voices. He massages the vibrating toy on their throats to stimulate their vocal cords, and insists it results in a fuller, freer sound. Hey, if it can make singers sound better, maybe it could make your mid-sex moans more melodious too!
2. Body massage. Many wand-style vibrators are ostensibly made for the express purpose of massaging sore muscles – the famous Magic Wand is one example. These vibes have largely been reappropriated for erotic use, but you can always go back to basics and use them how they’re “supposed” to be used! Vibrations are fantastic for loosening up tired or sore muscles. Massages even make great foreplay: you can transition smoothly from one usage of the vibrator to another!
3. Decoration. Some sex toys are exceptionally beautiful, like sculptures or objets d’art. You could even keep them out on your coffee table or mantelpiece! The Icicles collection, for example, is full of gorgeous glass creations. Would anyone ever suspect the Icicles no. 12 is anything but an elegant effigy of a rose?
4. Fashion accessory. Especially since Fifty Shades of Grey-mania swept the globe, fashion designers have been taking cues from BDSM style. So you might be surprisingly on-point, sartorially speaking, if you subtly work a sex accessory into your outfit. Cuffs are an obvious choice – stack both onto the same wrist so you look less subby and more stylish. The particularly fashion-forward may want to experiment with a collar – it’s like a choker necklace, but sexier!
5. Stress ball. Step one: acquire a dildo with squishy balls. Step two: wait until you’re having a tough day and feeling haggard. Step three: squeeze those balls to a soothing rhythm until you feel your stress melt away. (Surely a testicle-like stress ball is more fun than one that just looks like a sphere?!)